door and window gaskets/weatherstripping

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rmpatt

door and window gaskets/weatherstripping

Post by rmpatt »

I am looking for a source for my 1952 C170B window and door rubber. The window is a top-hinge, tilt out and the gasket forms around a flange on the inner door frame.
The door is just the typical, standard door -- but it needs rubber weatherstripping to be glued to the door frame.
Any ideas for sourcing (and installing)?
170C

Re: door and window gaskets/weatherstripping

Post by 170C »

rmpatt, I am sure others will chime in on your question with specifics, but while awaiting for those you might go to the top of the page and enter "weatherstripping" in the box and you will likely find a wealth of threads on the subject.

Good luck!
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Aircraft Spruce sells the rubber and adhesive for both applications.

I did mine with memory foam weather strip from Home Depot. It works pretty well.
The trick is getting it to seal all the way around without applying too much pressure to the hinges tho. These doors dont exactly have a consistent gap all the way around.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

T-9088 from Brown Aircaft is perfect for the doorseal.
For the window seal... see this post: http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... ply#p30646
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
rmpatt

Post by rmpatt »

Thanks for all the helpful information. I am making good, but slow, progress. Should be flying in a month or so.