Flap Handle Extender Bar

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Sandy170

Re: Flap Handle Extender Bar

Post by Sandy170 »

Thanks, everyone, for the useful comments. By the way, I did search for previous posts about the extender bar but didn't find anything so I figured the topic was new. I agree releasing flaps is not a problem, but depressing the button (really - push it with a foot???) and pulling the bar was nearly impossible with a properly tightened shoulder strap. I am not ready to install an inertial reel yet, but sounds like the best option for me. Will put in more hours in my 170 first.

Sandy
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

I used the hooker harness (no reel) for the first two year that I had my 170.
My plan was to loosen the harness, work the flaps and then re-tighten the harness.
In fact, the harness stayed loose 99% of the time due to laziness. The human factor is the least considered.

I've since put reels in my plane and don't give it a second thought. They are quite nice but can be pricey.

I too looked at the flap handle extender bar thingy and it just seemed too much for such a small problem (the first click of the flaps) but some people like it. I'm also 6'2" with ape arms tho. If my wife tried to reach it, she'd be real hard pressed to reach it at all.

An idea is to call the ezflap guy yourself and see if he'll work a satisfaction guarantee return policy with you.
You just might be one of the people that likes the setup.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Sandy170 wrote:... I did search for previous posts about the extender bar but didn't find anything so I figured the topic was new. ...
That conversation was deleted/edited/moved because it became too contentious for polite reading. It can be found on page 3 or 4 perhaps, of a discussion about shoulder harness. Here is a link:
http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... =27&t=5119

David's suggestion is a great one.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cmsusllc

Post by cmsusllc »

Sorry guys, I just got back to the forum. Bruce, you've flown both the A's and B's, the A's ratchet up and the B's need the button to be released for any movement and has a little longer handle which at 5-'6" and short arms I notice. An A model's flaps basically only add drag while a B adds a lot of lift at 20 degrees and a whole lot more drag at 40 degrees. With my 53B equiped with a 180 horse Lycoming and constant speed prop back in Montana at 4000' elevation I could get into and out of an 800' strip. I wouldn't do it without the E-Z Flap. Roll in a bunch of foreward trim, roll on to the strip at full power, let the tail wheel come up only a couple of inches- When you indicate 40 pop 20 degrees of flaps and pull hard on the yoke and clear the barbed wire fence. Try that with your nose in the panel while reaching for the release button. An A model just can't do that so it won't give you much advantage. And the handle is just more comfortable with the extention, but I would not buy it for that reason only
In other words I wouldn't want to be without it in my old plane and wouldn't waste the money on the one I'm flying now.
Scott.....use to be 53B, now a 50A and still loving it.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It's a fine-line arguing whether a shorter takeoff can be made by "popping" flaps....or simply setting them prior to beginning takeoff roll.

I'm personally convinced the "pop" group simply perceives things more dramatically....while the "set 'em first" group" probably enjoys shorter takeoff roll potential...... (the former has a consistency-of-application challenge....while the latter has a better chance at consistency.)

The argument that early application of flaps creates unnecessary drag early in the takeoff is an unconvincing argument in aircraft of this speed/weight regime, IMO.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
cmsusllc

Post by cmsusllc »

George, I know you won't ever believe it until you actually use it. There is not a Big difference but there is a definate benifit in some circumstances. Depends if you just fly your plane or actually use it. :D :lol:
Scott
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I've done it both ways.... "popping" seems to translate fwd motion into altitude fairly dramatically... I'm just not convinced that ground roll isnt slightly shorter by the "prior application" method... It's not easy to make this comparative measurement, ....and one reason is the lack of consistency of the "pop" method.
It's surely a perception-issue.
cmsusllc

Post by cmsusllc »

Man........George, you must have gone way past your bed time. This is a very subjective subject as there are so many variables. If we were a few thousand miles closer I would bet you I could get your plane off the ground consistantly 50 feet shorter than you using my methods, but alas, :cry: we are just too far apart. I've been through these same discussions localy and have been able to prove my point. But in the real world we have no business needing to decide which method works best. :wink: But if I need to clear a fence...............
Scott
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

When mfr's (who are attempting to get the very BEST performance numbers documented for their airplanes) do this excersize while developing AFMs,....guess how their test pilots do it?
cmsusllc

Post by cmsusllc »

Yea, but they didn't have the E-Z Flap handle !!! :lol:
Scott
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

cmsusllc wrote:Yea, but they didn't have the E-Z Flap handle !!! :lol:
Scott
True and I am personally glad for that.
Walt Weaver