B.A.S. Inertia-Reel Shoulder Harness

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

johneeb

Re: B.A.S. Inertia-Reel Shoulder Harness

Post by johneeb »

Here is the lone vote for the Bass inertial Reel Standard buckle shoulder harness. It is one thing to take off the shoulder harness at 39000' where if you hit something it won't matter if I have the harness on, off or wrapped around my ankles I am not going to survive and something at low level having me going to the orthodontist wishing I had my kept my harness on. When I considered which to buy I thought I never fly my 170 anywhere where I would consider taking off the Shoulder harness so I opted for the ease of donning with the standard buckle. As far as ease of egress in case after some kind of incident release the buckle and they slide off easily (practiced every time I leave the cockpit). The inertial real has plenty of range to reach the flap handle.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
sfarringer

Post by sfarringer »

johneeb wrote:Here is the lone vote for the Bass inertial Reel Standard buckle shoulder harness.......
Well, second vote actually!
Ragwing S/N 18073
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

This is my third airplane in which I've installed BAS with the utility buckle, but that's not a vote because I've never tried the standard type. I find putting them on to be slightly annoying, but it makes me slow down and get my preflight flow started. I definitely like the quick egress.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

I have both styles. The 170 has the BAS utility belts with detachable shoulder harnesses. The 195 has the BAS standard belts with integral shoulder harnesses. I prefer the utility belt with detachable shoulder harnesses. There are three main reasons, 1) when you are working in the interior, the detachable belts can be easily moved out of the way. The standard belts/shoulder harnesses are always in the way unless they are completely removed. 2) when flying with collarless shirts, the shoulder harnesses rub on your neck and become uncomfortable after awhile. Being able to take off the shoulder harness is welcome. 3) a few years ago, a float equipped C-180 went down in Cook Inlet south of Anchorage and flipped upside down in shallow water. The pilot was not injured bad but drowned when he got hung up in the shoulder harness and couldn't get out. That would not happen with the detachable shoulder harnesses.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Totally agree with you Richard on this one . To stop the rubbing on the neck without the collared T shirt , I went to a auto shop and they had these fabric covered foam protectors that wrapped around the belt and fasten with Velcro. Purchased 4 of them and fitted to each shoulder belt. They are even BLUE to match everything else. [helps the aircraft go faster] :lol:

Now where that’s fishing rod , I sense I could catch a big one here. :lol:
flat country pilot

Post by flat country pilot »

I have the utility belts and I would buy them again. I leave the shoulder straps connected to the lap belt and they lay across the front seats which allows easy access to the rear seats. I did not install the Velcro to hang the shoulder straps from the ceiling. I think the Velcro is a, well not necessary, and

I get in the plane first, and then reach behind my lower back and unlatch the lap belt, I hold the latches so that the shoulder harnesses do not disconnect from the lap belt. Bring them forward and reattach the lap belt. At this point the shoulder harness are still behind my arms, but with the lap belt reattached across my lap the shoulder harness slides forward across my shoulders.

This is easier than my description, and I have only had one passenger that did not catch on the first time.

In simpler terms, I use them as if they are the starndard belt with the utility of the egress harness.

Bill
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Haven't bought anything from BAS in a while, are they still offering a discount to C170A members?
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
4583C

Post by 4583C »

lowNslow wrote:Haven't bought anything from BAS in a while, are they still offering a discount to C170A members?
Karl they weren't in April when I bought mine, however they did give Del an FBO discount.
Sask170b

Post by Sask170b »

My vote is for the BAS Utility set. I find them easy use, and the shoulder harness stows away if you want to do so. I have not had any issue reaching for the flap handle when the shoulder harness is in place, very smooth. Color selection matched well. Mike
Attachments
BAS Utility - Copy.jpg