Voltage regulator identification

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Voltage regulator identification

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I've done some searching but can't find the answer to my question and perhaps George or someone else has the data.

My voltage regulator is a Delco Remy with 1119 253E stamped on the frame at the top mounting. What regulator do I have? It's currently regulating a 35A generator but I suspect it's not the correct regulator.

There is a lot of part numbers spread throughout a few post but none answer this question. Later today I'll probably also copy and past as many of those part number here so we can collect the info in one place.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
ronjenx

Re: Voltage regulator identification

Post by ronjenx »

On the Delco-Remy site, it shows 1119253 is replaced by 1119168, which is Regulator,
12 Volt/32-36 Amp, Dual Polarity, 14.1 Vset, Three-Unit Type, A-Circuit, 3-Terminal

This doesn't exactly describe what you have, but it may give you an idea of the amp rating.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Ron I found the Delco Remy site but didn't put my part number in correctly. I did as you did and like you find it is superseded to 1119168. But I couldn't find any more info on that number. How did you do that?

BTW Ron, why do you say the description you have is not what I have. Sounds like exactly what I might have.

Here is more info including Delco and Kelly part numbers I found in Aircraft Spruce catalog.
Screen shot 2010-07-09 at 1.57.51 PM.png

ronjenx

Post by ronjenx »

The description I posted is for 1119168 http://www.motorcityreman.com/deoe1111d61.html

which crosses from 1119253. I was just saying it is not a description of 1119253.

Delco-Remy has the blue prints for both regulators, but no rating data.
Bruce Fenstermacher

More Delco numbers provided by George.
gahorn wrote:
jmbrwn wrote:I'm looking at replacing my voltage regulator. I checked my current one and it looks pretty old. After checking, I found that I have a 12amp generator 8O . I did a search and found the part numbers for 20 & 35 amp gens...but no 12 amp. Can anyone give me the part number for voltage regulator with a 12 amp generator? Also where to get one?
The original part number (Delco-Remy) was 1118383, but it has been superceded by VR-300-14-20 (same as the 20A unit, formerly known as 1118736.)
For testing purpose only:
gahorn wrote:VR-605 is made by Wells.
gahorn wrote:The VR-605 is frequently listed as a 20-30 Amp regulator, but it is usually calibrated at 20 Amps for sale for a wide variety of generator systems.
j3pup wrote:VR-605 is $33.15 at AutoZone from the website after tax and shipping 12/4/2009.
gahorn wrote:The NAPA equivalent is ECHVR122, which is made by Echlin, and is priced at $78. (I think I'd buy the genuine item from Spruce VR300-14-20 for $119. Interestingly, the 35A model is the Napa ECHVR126 priced at $45.)

All of the above from this thread: http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... tor#p62999

hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Bruce-
Again, the statute of limitations is in effect, but after my voltage regulator blew out one dark night in about 1975, I took it to the local auto supply store, layed it on the counter and told the guy, give me one of these. He promptly brought one out and handed it to me. I asked him what it was for and as he gave me the strangest look, he said, "Cadillac". It was still working in 2006 when I had it replaced with the genuine FAA approved regulator that came with the STC'd alternator kit.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
Bruce Fenstermacher

Richard there is no doubt there are a lot of fine working voltage regulators out there. And we have, spread throughout this forum, documented what the numbers of the aircraft variety are. Besides trying to find exactly what I have, the point of this thread was to put all those part numbers in one thread.

Bruce Fenstermacher

Ron the Motorcityreman site, http://www.motorcityreman.com/delco1.html, has a lot of information useful for identifing non aviation regulators.

For archival purpose I compiled a PDF the pertinant information from that site for all the Delco Remy regulators they list that look like an aircraft component. (These are not aircraft parts unless of course you can show one of the part numbers is an aircraft part or crosses to an aircraft part.)
Delco Remy NON Aviation Regulators.pdf
(50.53 KiB) Downloaded 807 times
I've been told my PDF won't open on some computers. Usually has to do with not having the latest Adobe Reader on the receiving computer. For those that can't open the PDF or who want a Word document here is another option.
Delco Remy NON Aviation Regulators.doc
(35.5 KiB) Downloaded 667 times