Rudder Return Springs

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

hungstart

Rudder Return Springs

Post by hungstart »

I ordered some parts from http://www.iwantcessnaparts.com today and ordered some extra rudder pedal return springs to bring my total up to the minimum charge. If anyone needs any I will have them by the middle of the week, sooner if they follow my shipping instructions. Let me know and I will ship them to you for my cost.

Rick
N170MB
Rick
N170MB
blueldr

Re: Rudder Return Springs

Post by blueldr »

When you decide to install those new rudder return springs you're getting from "hungstart", be advised that the easy way is to disconnect the rudder cables at the rudder horn, attach a piece of safety wire to the cable, and allow the cable and rudder pedal to go to the forward limit. This makes attaching the new springs much easier. Then pull the cables back out with the attached safety wire and re attach them to the rudder horn.
Nobody thought to tell me about this the first time I did that job, and believe me it was a SOB of a job with the cables connected to the rudder horn.
I'm too old to be swift enough to figure these kind of things out the first time they come up.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Old German Quote: "Too soon OLT...Und too late SCHMARRT!" (Great Tip, bluEldr!)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
hungstart

Post by hungstart »

Springs came in today with 8130-3s. The long one is $19.82 and the short one $11.98. If I had one broken one I would change them both. If anyone needs them let me know and I will FedEx them to you.

Rick
Rick
N170MB
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Wow1 Those springs have sure gone up in price. They used to be half that. However, they would be difficult to find an alternative for.
BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The return springs have gone up in price about $3 each to about $22 and $15.

But the real question is when I install the new ones I have coming which way is the hook attached through the rear pedal arm. Hook pointing to the outside of the tunnel which I'd think would be the harder (maybe impossible) way but stronger or hooks pointing into the tunnel which is doable but may be a weaker method due to bending leverage placed on the hook.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com