cooling tubes

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Dward

Post by Dward »

Miles,

Thanks for the response. I would be glad to take some pictures and measure the hoses. This is a good time because we are just finishing up an engine swap / annual,so the cowling is already off. It may be a couple days before I can get to the airport.

This brings up another question though. Does my Cessna alternator need cooling air? With the cooling tubes removed it would only get what happens to circulate around behind the rear baffle. Seems to me this would be a pretty low pressure area.
Dave W

88 cyclo polisher
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Dave,

I believe the Cessna alternator is one of the altenators George was referring to that has an internal coolng fan. You should be able to see a fan through the air inlets if there's one there. George, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

There were two alternators I was thinking of that I've seen in Cessna's... The Ford/Prestolite/Cessna version and the MoPar/Chrysler version....both have internal fans.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Go to http://www.chiefaircraft.com/cgi-bin/ai ... ators.html , scroll about half way down the page to Remanufactured Alternators, and check out the photo of the FA DOFF10300F alternator. It APPEARS to be the Ford alternator intended to fit the c145/O300. The internal fan is quite obvious.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
jlwild

Post by jlwild »

:D Someone asked for pictures of the cooling tubes. The following pictures were taken when I installed a O-300D engine, alternator, F&M oil filter and Bartone exhaust system. The exhaust system was off so the the pictures show the cooling tubes fairly clearly. Hopefully you will be able to tell the direction of the photo.

I have three more pictures, but think these best illustrate the installation.
Jim Wildharber, Kennesaw, GA
Past President TIC170A (2010-12) and Georgia Area Representative
'55 170B, N3415D, SN:26958, O-300D; People's Choice '06 Kelowna, B.C., Best Modified '07 Galveston, TX, Best Modified '08 Branson, MO.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Engine mounts that are RED?? Why not Mobil BLUE? :lol:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

steve grewing wrote:George,

Mine has a 35A generator but no additional cooling. How do you configure yours?

Steve
Steve, I've looked high and low for the pics I once took of my installation to email to you, but for the life of me cannot locate them.
I installed a 1" flange (aircraftspruce.com PN 10350-4) on the rear baffle, just outboard of cyl. #2 beside it's rocker cover, and routed 1" red sceet hose (aircraftspruce.com PN 05-30604 internally double-lined to prevent rusty wires from ever breaking off and blowing down into my generator) down alongside the original oil-blast tube, clamped to that original tube with adel clamps, and then clamped the other end of the sceet to the generator blast-tube which is clamped around the generator brush-area. If your gen sheet-metal blast tube/cover is missing you'll want to find one somewhere.
35A gens require blast cooling and Dampened crankshafts.
steve grewing

Post by steve grewing »

Thanks George,

I was looking at my engine today regarding routing generator cooling SCEET tubing. I was thinking along the lines you described. I have the blast tube adapter (and the dampened crankshaft) and was wondering why the generator had the adapter when I could find no requirement for the additional cooling. I'll get the parts and put 'em on.

Thanks,

Steve