Tail Cone Repair

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

mongo2

Tail Cone Repair

Post by mongo2 »

Hello All,
I am a fairly new member and am in the process of restoring N5475C.
Currently I am rebuilding the tailcone from station 205.812 aft.
I have a combo of new Air Repair parts, and my airworthy parts. Regarding the tailwheel mtg bracket, I will be upgrading to the B model style. The original A style was cracked and attached with bolts. I am trying to find out what the rivet size is for the B model where it attaches to the 2 angles, or are some owners using bolts, due to whatever reason.
The skin is new, and with the other new parts I could rivet it all back together, but my angles have holes for the bolt sizes used on the original A tailwheel mtg bracket. P\N 0512117 and 0512117-1 can be easily dulplicated, but 0512119 and 0512119-1 have a slight bend in them. Not too sure about duplicating that. Any ideas or recomendations?
Thankyou,
Rick
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Those PN's are the "Angle - Tailcone reinforcment" (left/right/upper/lower) to/thru which the tailwheel bracket is rivetted. (The originals are actualy extrusions...not angles... and explains the shape of the corners. )

The rivets required to make the modification are:
28 ea. AN470AD-6-8
9 ea. AN470AD-5-8
8 ea. AN470AD-5-6
14 ea. AN470AD-6-9

It sounds as if your old bracket was modified by previous operators to use bolts instead of rivets where it attaches to the angles? That "shortcut" is technically not correct. If previous repairs have made the holes oversize you may have to obtain oversize rivets to make the repair.

Check your email. I've sent you the complete, step-by-step instructions (SB 70A52-4) to convert to the later tailwheel bracket. Hope it helps.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
jatkins

Post by jatkins »

Hi George,
Could you please send me the SB covering the tail cone mod.

Thanks John
CF-HER
52 170B 20292
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Check your email, ... but your B-model already has the applicable aluminum bracket. :wink:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
mongo2

Tail Cone repair

Post by mongo2 »

Thankyou George for the info. I am still looking for new angles, as the oversize holes for the bolts from previous owner, are too large for any of those rivet sizes, and upsizing the rivets to them would be difficult. I would like to put it back as it should be. As an A&P, and builder of an RV-6, I hope to find a resource to get the remaining items. For now , I will get what I can from Air Repair, and cleco together what I can. I'll be using a new aft bulhead assy, and new lower bracket, as well as a new TW mounting bracket and skin. Just want to say that the more I read in these forums and site, I am proud to be one who has the passion to keep these classics flying.

Rick
jatkins

Post by jatkins »

Hi George,
Thank-you, my 170B 1952 ser.(20292)had the old style of tail wheel bracket.
I am trying to collect as much in the way of tech paperwork for my aircraft as I can

I did the service kit , from air repair and , I have had alot of troble getting the tail springs back on.

MY lattest change was a differant a new tailwheel main spring , which had a differant angle at the end corrected the tail wheel steering issue and went into the new bracket much easier.
CF-HER
52 170B 20292
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Aha! I mis-read your Serial Number.... Sorry.
Yep, tailwheel steering issues can be confusing.... ESPECIALLY when we keep publishing/repeating WRONG INFO! :oops:

The latest The 170 News published an article on tailwheels which is merely a reprint of an old article which was full of errors. The old article originally appeared as a member-submitted article which contained never-corrected errors. (The original article appeared in the SRAM which has been identified as in serious need of revision and editing, and is presently under review in order to determine if it should be reprinted or not.)

I will be communicating with headquarters in an attempt to alleviate such inconsistencies.
mongo2

Post by mongo2 »

Does anyone know the type of aluminum used for P\N 0512117 and 0512117-1 in the tailcone? I see 3 types on a vendor site. 2024-T3, 6061-T6, and 6063-T52. I am trying to duplicate the originals as part of an upgrade.
Rick
Les Ervin

Re: Tail Cone Repair

Post by Les Ervin »

Rick,

I spent many hours in your airplane flying up in Alaska and in the lower 48 as a teenager. I would love to see the airplane again.

Les
rupertjl

Re: Tail Cone Repair

Post by rupertjl »

The angles are 2024-T3 aluminum. I reconstructed the tail cone last year during annual. I used the old angle for a pattern and made a bending jig to make the new angles the same bend.

v/r,
Jud
1950 170A: N9191A s/n 19366